This house in Winchester was built in 1810 and is a Grade II listed property. It featured a beautiful greenhouse which sadly had fallen into disrepair.The property is protected under a conservation order and we worked closely with the conservation department to ensure its replacement sympathetically reproduced the historical detailing and design of the original.
The greenhouse was restored to its former glory using several fixtures which were saved from the old structure. These include the cast-iron spandrels and a winding mechanism that manually controls the ventilation although there is now a new computerised system discreetly hidden from view.
Another challenge was to preserve the vine and reinstate it in its new home. It was necessary to detach it and lay it down while protecting it from mechanical damage during the demolition and rebuilding. As you can see from the photos it is again producing prolific bunches of grapes.
The owners have a beautiful garden which they open every year as part of the National Gardens Scheme and visitors now can admire the transformation.